Pregnancy is a major life event and a time of great change for parents. Having a new baby brings a huge change to family dynamics and the household. It can be both an exciting and overwhelming experience and forces parents to think about every aspect of their lives.
Attending an antenatal class is one of the most important gifts you can give to yourselves and to your baby in preparation for your birth and becoming new parents. The aim of antenatal education and classes is to equip parents with the knowledge and skills to negotiate their journey through pregnancy and to prepare them for childbirth and parenthood. With a little knowledge and practical
Expectant parents can have many questions such as the following:
- What to pack for
- How do I know if I am in labour?
- What do the first signs of labour feel like?
- How will I manage in labour?
- What are my options for pain relief?
- What are my options for natural pain relief?
- What positions are best for labour & birth?
- How do I write a birth plan?
Some parents will be planning for
- What does the procedure involve?
- What is recovery like?
- How will I manage to care for my baby after a caesarean birth?
Partners also can have many unanswered questions about their role during labour and birth such as:
- When should I call our midwife/hospital?
- When should we go to
- How best can I support my partner in labour?
Transition to parenthood can be both exciting and challenging with many questions to be answered such as:
- What equipment do I need?
- How do I hold my newborn baby?
- How do I take care of our newborn?
- How do I feed, wind and change our baby?
- How do I breastfeed my baby?
- How can I support my partner when breastfeeding?
- How do I bathe our baby?
- How can I nurture and bond with my baby?
- What are the parenting supports in the community?
Our classes at The Academy of Antenatal Education will address many topics, inclusive of those above, providing you with a forum for discussion on such important topics. The classes will also provide you with the essential education and information that you will need for empowered decision making for your birth and parenting. This education will assist you in how to come actively engaged in all aspects of your care and provide you with knowledge on a wide range of choices. These choices include holistic and medical options helping you to remain central to your birthing experience.